Monday, September 20, 2010

GFDF Setback

I should have known better.

We went to the Farmer's Market last Sunday. There was a vendor of gluten free baked goods, and DH pointed it out, and I said "yes, but it's not dairy free". The guy heard me and pointed at some stuff that was also dairy free. I looked at the ingredients and sure enough, no dairy! Yay! We happily took home our safe chocolate chip cookies (I'm sure you see where this is going). I spread them out throughout the week to help take the edge off. As DD and I were eating the last cookie on Saturday I looked at the package and thought "Hey, there's no mention of chocolate in here. I wonder if he included the ingredients of the chocolate chips?" Even though the farmer's market is a good 30 minute drive I made it yesterday to talk to him because, of course, his contact information is not listed on the farmer's market's website. Turns out he uses Nestle Tollhouse chocolate chips. *cry* I told him about Enjoy Life chocolate chips, and he asked where to get them, and I explained to him that Wegman's grocery store was maybe 2 miles down the road and they carry them. But, he told me, he lives all the way out in Winchester and there's no Wegman's there, and when I pushed about natural food stores he complained about the high price point, and that he'd contact Bob's Red Mill who he gets his gluten free stuff from... *facepalm*

I'm trying to take the lesson that sometimes reading the ingredients list isn't good enough but I feel so disappointed. Today is day 1 all over again.

Soup is simmering away featuring Polyface breakfast sausage and soaked beans a la Nourishing Traditions (I used vinegar instead of whey) and stock from the Freedom Ranger chicken. Back on track. :)

No comments: